Monday, March 26, 2007

The Mobile Web - Part I

The mobile web. The term sounds cool but what exactly is it?

Really it could be different things to different people. I'll throw out what I use it for.

First my tool - A T-Mobile MDA phone. It's a PDA style phone with a hidden keyboard. It also has a stylus and touchscreen. The phone is nice and runs on Windows Mobile platform. My main complaints are boot up time and not having a manual keypad. The keypad really can't be changed and the boot up problem is solved by leaving the phone on.

I've had several people tell me "I hate that phone." I can see that. It's almost a love or hate item. The more I use it the more I like it.

Email-
First I use it to check email. The phone will go out and grab the first bits of your email so you can check your email from anywhere. This is nice and saves time in finding a computer to check email and lets you get back quickly to urgent messages.

Text Messaging
I also use text messaging. At first this seemed like a teeny-bopper application. But text messaging has it's place. Think about it. If you call someone to ask a quick question the call usually turns into various chit-chat. A quick text message can get you an answer without all the baggage. Also out of the country I've used it to stay in touch where it was to costly to call.

Picture Messaging
This also has a teen fell to it but I try to use it in a more "mature" manner. Some may disagree. I can update one of my blogs with an image and text. I've had to purchase something and sent an image to make sure I was getting the right thing. You can also use them for fun such as keeping friends and family updated with a quick picture.

Stayed tuned for next article where we dig deeper into the Mobile Web.
EB

0 comments:

Post a Comment